April Meeting Agenda:
"Hacking is not a spectator sport. -unknown"
NOTE: All meetings are open to Quelab members and members of the public. Attendance is encouraged!
Date: 01 April 2012
Ground Rules (Ray)
- "2 truths & a lie" [-gm just a suggestion]
- (Geoff)Treasurer's report
- (Ray) Review of March Conf Call with School Factory
- Task Forces
- (Adric)Andrew Stone contest
- ()ISEA & Maker Faire September 19-24
- (Ray)Lab store/canteen
- ()Space Organization
- (Walter)Linux/Game nights
- (all) March of the Robots recap
- (all) Game Night recap
- (Addie) marketing discussion:
- Official Duties of the Quelab "Communication officer"(?)
- Arduino April workshops marketing
- Things that go BOOM (June)
- July -- Theme Discussion
- (All) Create 3 lists of hackerspace "requirements". [-gm I think the focus should be on the mandatory and desires]
- Mandatory ("have to have's"... "I wont cont to Quelab unless the space has ____")
- Desires ("nice to have's"... "If I were to get the most use of Quelab I'd need ______")
- Visionary (long term ideas... "I've seen the best hackerspaces in the world and they all have _______")
Attendees: \\ Geoff, Ray, Adric, Alfred, Aaron, Charel, Zig, Wilton, Larry, Walter, Greg, bandit, James
Started at: 4:46 with ice breaker,
Conference Bridge opened but only noisy hold music
Read the Ground Rules,
- Treasurer: and, $694(Deposit) $90 paypal $150 square, $450+ event take. Now at 23 members.
- Space Federation monthly call: nobody from here made it to do it. James gave a little recap, (open source access control in hackerspaces, this fall may be a hackathon to do it. Fund Raising workshops also likely in the fall. 3 other hspaces may also be coming up to do similar outside funding sources as us and the possible EECE.
- Stone contest: Adric gave a recap, details here: Stone contest google doc
- Maker Faire: open for volunteers and promo stuff (some delayed due to logo issues)
- Charel needs some help with proposal review of tech related projects, would like Quelab to be involved in the vetting.
- Call for makers to be posted on our website.
- Proposal request for logistics meetings here at Quelab, we all agreed it should work, especially with a member sponsor.
- Maker Faire/Intel: ISEA money for community projects, possibly used for buying soldering irons/tools,
- need to know amounts
- Is it ok with SF, 10% to sf? (James says it may be negotiable, but details are needed)
- Aaron: perhaps it could 10% be off of the NET, not off of the whole
- Grant kits are in the works?(James)
- Charel will make a list of volunteers needed.
- Lab Store/Canteen, no major progress, vending machine, looks like some sort of DIY kit, may be the trick. intrum and lower cost parts. might be drawers. more to be debated.
- Space planning: its working, still needs more volunteers, for kitchen and carpeted room (Geoff takes computer room)
- Need to plan the next yardsale
- We may need some signage, e.g, no unsupervised children, if you use a dish, wash two, etc.
- Linux Night/Game Night: game night was good, need to pass the hat more, need to do it regularly; linux night: success! good turnout, picked up 2 new members, more passing the hats?
- March of the Robots Recap, Ray and Alfred got 3d prints!!!
- Adric: thanks to everyone for their hard work, despite the last moment cancellation of craig it went really well,
- Arron: a little worried about the pressure of teaching, but we have some support.
- Charel: it went really well, but we need a bit of signage. She has a printer that can print poster-sized pages. Getting more directions and signs up.
- Not getting through very well the intent of the night and to be part of the hackerspace. Also when the membership was handed out it was not well described.
- Perhaps some gift cards/ more memberships, (perhaps limited membership as to not give out keys)
- Questions about what is quelab about.
- Need more communication(amongst ourselves, and also to our customers)
- Kids, share parents kits, with additional kits to sell. (helps to make them work together)
- Sublease, we need to rent it! Walter missed his target, we need to get word out asap. and get it up
- Marketing tabled due to illness. (Addie was not here)
- Space Requirements See external google doc of extracted compiled Needs/desires/visions
- Survey members about space wants
- Walter will follow up with the membership
- Possible questions to ask: how far a commute?
Meeting closed: 6:59