Our discussion topics:
- What is your 509(a)(1) exempt purpose? A: educational and scientific purpose, as a public charity.
- We'd like some kind of ongoing communications, regularly scheduled meetings. A: School Factory has been doing monthly group comference calls on the 3rd Wed of the month and "private" calls with the individual groups as requested.
- Next step is?: Become an incorporated non-profit in the sate of NM, then finish fiscal sponsor agreement, with adendum for regular communications meetings (in an appendix)
- Need for User-friendly online tools (atrium is convoluted and not easy to use): A: Space Fed. usually provides training to the whole group after the paperwork is completed.
Gabe Ortiz, Greg Moran, bandit, James Carlson(?)
Other Meeting Notes (2011-09-04):
- Q: Do you have a grant writer on staff? A: No, but there are people that are good at it, who could be availble to help as needed
- Q: Is there a repository for workshops, event plans,
- Q: Are you/we subject to the a open meetings act? A: No. only when someone is giving you a gift...
- Idea: apply for a $200k grant for a new space, various other grants for workshops and seminar
- Idea: mailing legal documents (sent by return reciept requested) for legal documents and evidentiary trail. desire to use certified read receipt for postal correspondence
- Suggestion: When writing grants, it helps to have more than 1 organization involved at a time. when applying for a grant
- Suggestion: try to partner with other organizations in terms of management and operations of the space.
- Suggestion: Use the online tracking form set up to track donations of money and stuff... used to generate receipts from school factory
- Action: brainstorm all the organizations around ABQ for potential partnership opportunity.
- Action: finish paperwork for non-stock corporation (board member signatures)
- Action: familiarize ourselves with the Atrium content and functionality
- Action: Space Federation will provide a "welcome packet" kit with paperwork to make it "real" With a suggestion: Make sure that our donation receipts use the proper Tax exempt wording, which is provided.
- Space Fed. next big challenge is when they file for the group exemption = on track for 2012 roll out... going to mature spaces first (ones with proper accounting practices)