New Member Handout
needs to be fleshed out more! suggest edits/additions!
This page will be undergoing many edits while we settle into the new location. Thank you for your patience!
New members need to come down to the lab and fill out some paperwork to gain 24/7 access to the lab. If you cannot make a hacknight or event, call the lab phone, 505 750-4522 (leave a message, it goes to all 7 boardmembers), or e-mail to board (at) quelab _dot_ net to arrange a time to get initiated.
- Please follow the Opening & Closing Procedures to keep the space safe & secure.
- Respect others, and their projects! Even if you think you know a better way, offer advice not disparaging comments.
- Sign a Liability Waiver before using equipment
- Use common sense.
- Ask for help if you need it!
- Wear the proper safety gear
- Key policy
New members are requested to use the keyboxInitially, we will be asking ALL members to use the keybox until the metal door is replaced and we get the RFID access system into place.
- Currently entry is the glass door at the right; put the key back into the keybox & set the combo to "0000" when you are in the lab.
- If you are the last person out make sure all the doors are locked and the key is placed back in the keybox.
Regulars re-occurring payment members who want a key can put down a $5 deposit, and then be shown how to duplicate a key (basically Adric, or another member will help you cut your own key in 5-10 minutes)
- If you are a member and are going to have ongoing projects look into a 25 gallon plastic tub to put in the storage room to store your important parts/project. All member marked tubs and what is in them is off limits for taking apart/using without permission.
- Lockers are also available for rental, if you have things of value you worry about.
- As a policy we expect everyone to be on good behavior, theft will not be tolerated!
- Offer help where you can
- Volunteer for the good of the space often!
- Take Initiative! If you see something that needs doing, or something that can help the space, do it!
- If you use something up, look into replacing it, (glue/tape/solder.....)
- If you can't replace it at least announce it was used up in the forums or on a whiteboard
- Room Status Whiteboards These small whiteboards with attached marker/eraser are in most of the major rooms, use them to Comment on/Request/Reserve the room, they are there also so if you have to leave a project or mess, you can say when you will be back to deal with it!
- clean (you are the maid!)
- You make a mess, clean it up,
- Try to put tools and equipment away when you are done.
- try to leave workbenches usable for the next person.
- Shared computer/Network/Printer...
- Respect the equipment
- Don't turn off the server
- The DSL modem is in the mezzanine over the main set of offices.
- Wireless key is posted in the lab
- Ethernet wiring is currently being installed and there will be Ethernet ports in most all of the rooms
- Emailing out via SMTP requires Authentication, setting your email program for SSL or TLS should work. (port 587 or 465)
- hack stuff
- this goes without saying.
- all stuff in "hack this box" is fair game, even if you just want to take it home! (its preferable that you come up with an awesome use for it but not required!
- Heaters/Coolers Lights, Misc.
- make sure heaters& soldering irons and lights are off when locking up.
- Portable Electric heaters all have their own controls, make sure they are off and unplugged when not in use.
- There are two furnaces in the new space, both located in the mezzanine over the front set of rooms.
- We have an electric hot water heater, located in the family bathroom.
**Quelab has 3 Swamp coolers,
Starting from the front, we have one cooler, Its controls are outside the front bathroom, it has one Downdraft vent, and 3 roof register vents, (Front office, Kitchen, and Room outside Kitchen, These vents may or may not be open depending on utilization.) Then in the workshop there are 2 swamp coolers, One large roof mounted one that feeds the ducts over the workbench. and the carpeted room, Its controls are on the north wall of the workshop by the Rod of Rolls of tape, its got a thermostat, We recommend people bump it up to 90F when closing, and down to something like 75/78F when working, (it does have a pump priming delay of about 2 minutes between turning it down and it starting.) And one small wall mounted one on the north side workshop wall, its controls are push button and on it. Its only really good for ventilating and cooling the workshop. worth while to run when other coolers are on, lest it jut be a exit vent for the cool air.
- Lab oddities
Automation The front(LED Quelab)sign & open sign & the porchlight/front_entry_room and the lamp clipped by the side door are on a motion sensor in the carpeted room(X10), you can turn them off via a remote on the doorjamb between the wood-door and the screendoor on the side door. (They will self power off in about 30 minutes of no motion)
- Don't make us make rules about stuff!
- Quelab emergency contact info will go here (for printed out copies yet to be posted in the lab) ______________________________________ ______________________________________