I bought a foosball table for the space. It needed some cleanup & repair and Walter asked me to blog about it. Part 4 in a 5 part series.
These events took place on November 23 & 24, 2013.
When last you left us, I had painted all the rusty fasteners a nice glossy black:
It’s been a few days, so there’s been plenty of time for drying (or would that be curing?), even with how cold the space is kept when unoccupied. Even though my package of new guys & foosballs isn’t here yet, I figured I could go ahead and reassemble the table except for the last four guys, the middle rod that carries four guys!
I bolted the legs back on, and put the screws back into the side rod holders… I think the paint job really dresses up the table in a nice yet subtle way!
Compare that to this shot when they were all rusty:
It’s subtle, and you may not even be consciously aware of the difference, but I bet you’ll like the table with the painted fasteners better than the one with the rusty fasteners!
So I started reassembling the table. The legs bolted on, then flip the table. Then start inserting the rods & assembling the bumpers & men to them. That is when disaster struck. Even though I took great care to not overtighten the bolts & screws that hold the men on, as I tightened the bolts, cracks became visible on several of the cream-colored men. (I didn’t cause the cracks, but tightening the bolts revealed damage I had missed in my earlier assessment.) This meant that I didn’t have four damaged foosball guys as I originally thought, I had 5, no 7, no 8! Eight broken, damaged foosball guys! And the shipment I am waiting for from Mueller’s only has four replacement guys. DURN BURN IT!
What to do, what to do…
While I could order more replacement guys, that would mean even more shipping charges, and I figured the others were ticking timebombs, why not just replace the whole kit & kaboodle? And that’s what I did. After discussion with Morgan & Celeste (they were in Quelab that day), I decided to buy a complete set of foosball men from eBay.
The next day, my order came in from Mueller’s. Talk about bittersweet.
Well, at least now I have balls to play with.
Next time: Reassembly, and a finished table… ”this time for sure!”
Tags3D-printer 3d printing 2600 adafruit air Arduino audio Bubonicon class classes crafting crowdfunding DIY event events gamenight general meeting hack hackerscouts hacknight Ignite Instructables inventables LED Linux Maker Faire makezine marblebrewery meeting Meetings music NMTC potluck privacy Projects public night pyp recap robots space steampunk TechMas theme video Workshop